Seven Attributes of a Woman of God
By Dr. Ron Woodworth
“Blessed are you among women and blessed is the child that you will bear!…Blessed is she who believed that what the Lord has aid to her will be accomplished! And Mary said: ‘My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me—holy is his name.” (Luke 1:42, 45, 46-49)
The Seven Attributes of a Godly Woman are…
- A godly woman is a worshipper of Jesus Christ.
“God is spirit, and his worshippers must worship in spirit and in truth.”
- A growing personal relationship with the Lord Jesus is foundational.
- Ungodly women have worldly values and do not experience continual renewal and transformation of their character.
- A godly woman is gracious and encouraging in attitude and speech.
“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” (Colossians 4:6)
- Gracious implies being accepting and forgiving toward others
- Ungodly women are critical and gossip constantly—tearing others down because of their own insecurity
- A godly woman is loving and nurturing toward her family—parents and siblings or husband and children.
“Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.” (Titus 2:4)
- Her relationship with her husband is respectful and transparent
- Her children are sustained in life by her steadfast care and focused attention
- A godly woman is industrious and engaged in good works toward others.
“She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. “(Proverbs 31:17-21)
- She doesn’t waste a lot of time on “soap operas” but renews her mind and heart with the Word of God and Christian friends
- She continues to develop her skills by study and mentoring
- She is actively engaged in helping to meet the needs of others
- A godly woman is stylish and yet modest in her outward adornment.
“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. (1 Peter 3:3)
- In our culture: Victoria has no more secrets!
- A godly woman purposefully avoids any unrighteous allurements or seductions toward men. She knows the score, but refuses to play the worldly games any more.
- Her growing self-esteem in Christ is reflected in how she physically takes care of herself
- A godly woman is meek and gentle in her demeanor.
“Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit.” (1 Peter 3:4)
- She is not impatiently combative or extreme in her moods
- Submission is not a chauvinistic term to her but rather a call to release her from the fear or disdain of men…she is finding recovery in Christ from all masculine abuse and/or abandonment
- She commands her husbands’ respect by her behavior instead of demanding it by verbal barrage
- A godly woman is faithful and confident in Christ.
“For the Lord has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. “ (2 Timothy 1:7, KJV)
- She is progressively realizing a release from a life of fear and insecurity
- Her steadfastness of faith is a constant example and challenge to all she encounters in this life. In other words, she is an outstanding testimony for the Gospel of Christ!
“Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleetingly vain;
But a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised!”